Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Spiritual Reading - A biblical freak

I had a bit of a run in. Unsuspectingly I began to chat with a man who from a far seemed as normal as the next person, until he began preaching the gospel to me, making all kinds of bizarre connections between recent historical events and the bible.

The spiritual reading crowd were busying themselves in Bishop Lucey Park, but this guy was merely having a coffee outside of the Opera House. Maybe he was on a break.

After I confessed I did not believe in God, he tried his very best to convert me for the next 20 minutes. I was informed that Jacob – a Jewish name – meant the devil in an ancient language and that the twin towers were symbolically the towers of Babylon, oh yes and that New York is symbolised by the biblical apple, hence the name Big Apple. Indeed there was far more he tried to share with me about his infinite knowledge about world affairs, not least that he in fact sanctioned the attack on the Twin Towers. Let it be known, the roots of 9/11 lie in Cork, Ireland. Who’d have thunk it. Until I moved to this town, I had never heard of it or considered it in anyway significant on the greater scale but I have learnt better, not merely through the lunacy of a guy on the street but this towns establishment who where ever and whenever seek to celebrate as many Corkonians as they can possibly manage. One would be forgiven for thinking that Cork lies at the heart of civilisation.

Now, I would have written this conversation off as listening to the amusing ramblings of a mad man if it was not for one disturbing little fact. Asked what he thought about the Lisbon Treaty he gave a reply that could have fooled most as being almost reasonable, even if I did not agree with it. If we had not taken this amusing little detour through the bible I might have walked away thinking this man was sane.

4 comments:

PatMan said...

Hi,

I am a Christian (Born Again)... But I might add of the sane type I should hope(LOL)... I know of these folks & used & I stress USED TO attend their fellowship (Chrush Meetings /services /whatever)...

These folks are by far misguided & on a completely wrong road.... Thank God Most of my family are free of these folks... BUT Please do not think that all Christians are as insane, misguided in their thoughts & directions... Me thinks I even know that Bloke...

Most of us are Sane... Great Post.. Thanks for the read.

Patman

bob said...

Just a quick note to say that I am involved with the group who do the spiritual readings in Bishop Lucy Park and this fellow (whoever he was) has nothing to do with us. We have no particular opinions on 9/11, crazy or otherwise.

Feel free to come along and talk to us some Saturday afternoon!

p.s. -- I don't have an OpenID so I've posted the comment with my Google account but my blog is:
http://blogs.linux.ie/yarr

Doug Heffernan said...

A big leap from the Opera House to Bishop Lucy Park, I am glad you did not run into any other 'non-normal' people in some other part of the Cork area I would presume they too would be Bishop Lucy Parker's 'Spiritual Readers' on a break.

Normal ah yes a wonderful descriptive one worder that means nothing at all to none but the NOR/mal

PatMan said...

Hi,

Gee, People not know me? After all those years...

Non-Normal People??? What is Normal? Certainly not this....